E-commerce platforms are quite an integral part to consider when launching your own online shop. Although popularity isn’t really anything to go by when making your decision, it’s good to consider what most companies are using when building their online shops. There are hoards of additional considerations like cost, how much customization needs to be done, support, hosting, how easy is the back-end to use, what are the running costs, how many extensions are available and much more. Maybe this top 5 list can narrow down your search for the ultimate e-commerce platform that is perfect for your venture:
- In the top spot, you will find WooCommerce with 28,373 websites using it in the top million sites. This is the e-commerce module for WordPress, so there is no surprise that it is such a popular platform.
- In the second place we have Shopify, a strong contender with 24,644 websites using it. Simple and easy to use, also no surprise there.
- Magento takes the 3d position with 14,564 sites using it. A definite powerhouse in the e-commerce world but some skills needed to configure and maintain.
- BigCommerce comes in at number 4 with 4,168 sites. Strong, intuitive and fairly easy to set up with a lot of on-demand functionality.
- PrestaShop takes the 5th position with 4,002 websites. Competing largely with WooCommerce and Shopify, it will have to go a long way to catch up, but still a very functional platform.
There you have it. The top 5 contenders for 2019 so far according to builtWith.
Cassie van Wyk is the main author of this blog and has years of experience in the field of channel marketing and e-commerce respectively. He has a passion for writing and sharing knowledge, and does a lot of research in order to bring factual information to all the blog visitors. Feel free to reach out at any time!